Crunchy and nutty, these will surprise and delight. They make a great topping for many dishes including lamb, chicken, fish or salads. Use medium or large capers.
You also get a bonus here if you haven’t scorched the oil. The capers will subtly flavour the oil, and it can be used again to sauté fish, chicken, or vegetables, or wherever you might like the flavour of capers.
Salted caper buds
- Place 2 tbsp capers in a sieve.
- Rinse well under cool tap water to remove excess salt. If you prefer less salt, soak capers for 30mins changing water.
- Dry thoroughly on paper towels.
- In a small, frypan heat 2cm olive oil until it shimmers
- Add the capers to the hot oil and fry for 1 to 2 minutes until they begin to crisp.
- Fry in batches if doing a lot; otherwise you’ll cool the oil down too much.
- Drain carefully and put on paper towels to absorb excess oil. The capers can be made 3 to 4 hours ahead; keep them uncovered at room temperature.