This delicious colourful salad is a good thing to make with stale bread. The recipe is a rough guide which you can adjust seasonally. In high summer its perfect made with capers, tomatoes, basil and bread.
- 2 red and 1 yellow capsicum
- 1/3 stick of ciabatta or crusty white bread (preferably Italian)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 a red onion sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbsp capers rinsed
- 3 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 4 anchovy fillets chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Roast the capsicums in a very hot oven until the skin blisters and browns. Remove from the oven and cover with a tea-towel to cool. Cut the bread into largish cubes and sprinkle with water to moisten. Leave for 10 mins.
Peel the capsicums and cut into long strips.
Toss together all of the ingredients, season and dress with vinegar and olive oil. Allow to rest for 10 mins before serving.